Zimmerman & Zimmerman is looking for a Senior Data Engineer (m/f) with a focus on Python. You should have prior experience architecting and developing advanced dynamic projects involving technologies for Back-end, Database and DevOps, as well as leading teams of engineers working on these projects and data products.
You will be responsible for data management processes. You will develop and automate robust processes to extract, transform, and load large, scattered, and unstructured data sets into clean and powerful analysis for our information products on top of in house built open-source technology in use by our clients in the humanitarian sector.
This role will see you leading a team of developers as well as being an individual contributor to the team.
Must be available to work onsite in Amsterdam, The Netherlands or working remote within the EU if you show excellent competence and expertise.
- Act as the primary technical contact for an engineering team with other teams across disciplines, potentially leading a team of 2-6 developers
- Work closely with the project manager to architect and integrate back-end code to be integrated into front-end projects and products
- Validate data and ensure completeness, correctness, and relevance for meaningful analyses
- Develop and automate analytical tools based on the generated cubes to provide marketing, sales and pricing insights
- Detect, solve, and implement internal process and technology improvements, as well as create, optimize, and maintain new and existing data transfer channels
- Advise and support clients on how to model, implement and automate robust ETL processes
- Work with internal and external business and technology experts across the world in the IATI Standards initiative (International Aid Transparency Initiative)
- Experience as a lead developer
- 8+ years of experience building web applications with any common web technologies (Node.JS, PHP, Ruby, Python)
- 6+ years of experience in database modeling; MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB.
- Experience with containers and container platforms (Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes)
- University degree (business, economics, computer science, or engineering preferred) with experience in relational data management software, languages (esp. SQL), and ETL processes
- Proven capabilities to build and maintain large and complex data sets
- Extensive knowledge of analytical / Business Intelligence software, programming languages (e. g. Tableau, Python, R, SAS)
- Familiarity with big data technologies (e.g. NoSQL databases) are a strong plus
- Fluency in English (written and oral); additional language abilities are a major advantage
- Sharp analytical mindset with a pro-active and reliable attitude
- Experience in defining continuous integration build processes for back-end development
- Familiarity with CI/CD strategy (AWS, Heroku, Google Cloud)
- Knowledge of common design patterns in web development (i.e., MVC, MVVM)
- Working knowledge of source control software such as Git (preferred) or SVN
- Exposure to Agile project management methodologies
- Ability to multi-task and manage tasks with varying priorities
- Must be able to brainstorm and communicate technology ideas and issues with peers and management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in developing applications for data driven environments
- Experience in leading a team of developers through all processes of development and integration, including test automation
What we offer you:
- Possibility to shape and implement new technologies within our organization and those of our clients and lead the way for new ideas
- Offering you the opportunity to make the world a better place with data for humanity
- € 50.000 – € 65.000 gross yearly salary
- 25 holiday days
- 8% holiday allowance
- Modern workplace and equipment in a bright, inviting office with a pleasant working atmosphere
- Open culture led by our entrepreneurial spirit, openness, and integrity
- The opportunity to work in a new, fast-growing, engaged and friendly team that welcomes you with open arms
- Short communication channels for optimal working conditions
- Coffee, water, fresh fruit are always at your disposal
We provide open data visualisation solutions for organisations working on aid transparency and accountability within the humanitarian sector. We have developed the open-source data-engine OIPA (https://www.oipa.nl/home) which enables raw XML files to be transformed into a normalised datastore, enabling our clients and partners to access over USD100 billion of development aid data annotated in the IATI XML Standard (http://iatistandard.org/ ). Using our bespoke Data Toolkit IATI Studio (https://www.iatistudio.com/ ) normalised XML can be accessed for visualising, analysing and comparing IATI data. We provide solutions to Government, UN-Migration, The Global UNESCO, UN-Habitat an local municipalities opening up their information streams. 09:30 standups with our team in Amsterdam, Cyprus and Lithuania.